Driving through winter conditions can leave you stressed, exhausted, and white-knuckled. Paragon Car & Van Rental is locally-owned so we understand the pressures of driving through icy or snowy conditions. To ensure a safe and worry-free road trip, follow the winter weather driving tips below.
Stay in Control
During the winter, snowy months this can be quite difficult. Although you can’t completely control any vehicle you’re driving, the following recommendations can definitely help.
- Don’t drive while being overly tired. If you’re headed out on a long road trip, do your best to get a good night’s sleep the night before.
- Avoid using cruise control while driving in slippery conditions.
- Loud music can be distracting while driving in icy conditions, so be sure to keep the music lower than usual.
- Under no circumstances should you talk on your cell phone while driving in the middle of winter weather.
- Driving through falling snow makes it extra difficult, so plan on taking more time than needed for your road trip.
- Avoid any sudden turns or twists with the steering wheel. Step on the brake slowly, not forcefully or suddenly.
When driving through snowy conditions, be sure to slow down and take your time. Give yourself a safe and enjoyable ride with the following suggestions:
- Add 30 – 60 minutes of extra driving time. This allows you to drive with care and caution without sacrificing your arrival time.
- If you find yourself driving through poor visibility, slow down.
- Keep extra distance between you and other vehicles near you. Allow yourself extra space for any type of slippery pavement or snowy patch.
Winterize Your Vehicle
AAA recommends a thorough maintenance check-up before winter arrives. Be sure to take your vehicle to an auto mechanic that will check all of the items listed below:
- Tires and tire pressure (including installation of winter tires, if necessary)
- Belts and hoses
- Radiator and oil
- Exhaust system
When you rent a vehicle from Paragon Car & Van Rental, you are renting an expertly maintained vehicle with your safety specifically in mind. Rent one of our cars, vans, or SUVs with confidence, knowing they are ready and waiting for your next winter road trip. Call (773) 622-7660 to request your free quote today.
“Winter Driving Tips.” Web blog post. AAA Exchange. AAA. Web. 26 Nov. 2018